If you’re a first-time dog owner, you’re about to embark on a journey full of fun, love and occasional frustration. You might not know exactly what to expect when you first bring your dog home, but that’s okay. We’ve got some tips to help you get a better idea of what to expect and how you can prepare for your first dog ownership experience.
Here are some tips from The Soggy Dog, including some information about the pet supplies in Henderson, NV you’ll want to stock up on:
- Expect an adjustment period: You’re going to need to be patient with your dog as it adjusts to its new surroundings. This is especially true for adult dogs, who need a little longer to transition from their previous home or shelter to their new home. Puppies are more capable of quickly adapting to a new space, but will need a lot more training (especially house training). Make sure you’re set up with everything you need before you bring home the dog.
- Know the work that goes into puppies: Puppies aren’t all cuteness and snuggles—they’re also a lot of work. Read up on puppy socialization and training, as well as the vaccination schedule you need to follow. We strongly recommend puppy classes as a great way of socializing the dog in group settings. Be consistent with all the training methods you implement, and get the puppy into a good routine to help it adjust more quickly.
- Find a good vet: This is something you should do before you officially bring the dog home with you. Research veterinarians in your area and choose one you like, one that has a great staff to support him or her.
- Stock up: Again, before you bring your dog home, make sure you’ve stocked up on all the essential pet supplies in Henderson, NV. This includes food, toys, bowls, leashes, collars, a create and much more. There are plenty of sites that will provide you with some great tips of every single essential pet supply you’ll need to keep your dog happy and healthy.
- Research dog food: There are a whole lot of options for dog food out there, so you might be wondering how you can pick the right one for your dog. Your vet will be a great resource here—they know dog foods well, and are going to be able to recommend foods that give your dog the nutrients it needs without packing in too many fillers and unnecessary calories. If you got your dog from a breeder, the breeder may also have recommendations of foods you should be using at home.
- Stay on top of training: Again, consistency is crucial when it comes to training your dog. Training your dog gives your dog some structure and helps you keep control over your pet. Both you and your dog will be much happier if the dog is trained well, as it creates a special bond between the two of you.
Contact The Soggy Dog today for more information about preparing to bring home a new dog and what pet supplies in Henderson, NV you should have on hand.
Categorised in: Pet Supplies
This post was written by Writer