Foods That Could Make Your Dog SickFebruary 9, 2021 12:25 am Leave your thoughts
Feeding your dog leftover scraps off the table or giving them nibbles of other human food might seem harmless at first. After all, human food always seems to make them happy.
While some fruits and veggies like apples, bananas, celery and carrots are safe foods for dogs in Henderson, NV, it’s important to note that dogs should be kept away from a long list of human foods. Continue reading to learn more about the top foods that can make your dog sick:
- Chocolate: It’s safe to assume that most pet owners know their dogs can’t have chocolate. Chocolate, coffee and caffeine all contain compounds called methylxanthines. These substances can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and death.
- Avocados: The pit and skin of avocados contain a toxin called persin that often causes vomiting and diarrhea. The flesh inside the fruit doesn’t contain as much persin, but dogs should still be kept away from avocados.
- Cherries: Apart from the flesh around the seed, cherry plants are toxic for dogs because they contain cyanide. Because this toxin disrupts cellular oxygen transport, cherries are one of the foods that could make your dog sick in Henderson, NV. Signs that your dog has cyanide poisoning include dilated pupils, difficulty breathing and red gums.
- Tomatoes: Although ripened tomato plants are typically safe foods for dogs in Henderson, NV, the green parts of tomatoes are not due to a toxin called solanine. A dog would need to consume a lot of tomatoes to become sick, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Asparagus: The good news is that asparagus isn’t dangerous to dogs. However, veterinarians don’t recommend feeding the veggie to your dog. By the time you boil or cook asparagus, the plant doesn’t contain enough nutrients to be beneficial for your pet. Instead, opt for something healthy like broccoli.
- Onions: While onions are more dangerous to dogs than cats, a substance in them can be harmful in some situations. Onions, chives and leeks can cause vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain and nausea, and may even lead to red blood cells rupturing.
- Coconut: The flesh and milk found in fresh coconuts contain oils that are harmful to your pets. Coconuts can cause gastrointestinal problems and diarrhea. Due to high levels of potassium, coconut water should also be avoided.
- Alcohol: This one should be a no-brainer, but dogs should never be given alcoholic beverages. Just like with humans, alcohol may cause vomiting, reduced coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors and even death. Never leave glasses of wine or beer where your pet can reach them, and clean up spills right away to avoid the risk of alcohol ingestion.
Talk to our team about the right nutrition for your dog
To ensure your dog gets all the food they need—and nothing they don’t, come to The Soggy Dog. In addition to knowing foods that could make your dog sick in Henderson, NV, we carry all of the top pet foods and supplies that ensure a happy and healthy life for your furry friends.
Categorised in: Dog Food, Dog Safety
This post was written by Writer