Reward Your Dog with These Approved FoodsJanuary 17, 2022 11:41 pm Leave your thoughts
Pampering your pet is one of the best parts of owning a dog. It’s fun to come home from a tough day and realize that you can make your pooch happy by giving them that special treat that they love.
Part of this spoiling is feeding your dog people food, but there are actually quite a few foods that you should never give to your pet. Things like chocolate, dairy, alcohol, nuts and grapes can all cause symptoms ranging from indigestion to death and, of course, must be avoided.
There are also some healthy human foods for dogs, so read on for some more tips about what you can safely feed to your pooch:
- Bread: While most people don’t necessarily think of carb-loading when they think of dogs, pups can actually quite easily handle small amounts of plain bread (never give them raisin bread, as raisins are extremely dangerous for dogs). It has no real nutritional value for them, but it also won’t harm them, so it’s a good example of one of the harmless and safe foods for dogs.
- Cashews: While nuts tend to be mostly dangerous for dogs, cashews are actually something called drupes. Other examples include almonds and pistachios, which both consist of a shell covering a seed. Since they don’t have any of the potential dangers of nuts, they’re another safe food for dogs to snack on alongside their humans.
- Cheese: While a lot of dairy consumption can cause indigestion, diarrhea or vomiting in pets, some types of cheese are actually okay (but it’s always best to keep doses small). Low-fat options like cottage cheese are best. Also, there are actually some dog-specific products out there like Himalayan dog chews that are made out of dried cheese that can also be a fun option for your furry pal.
- Coconut: Not only can dogs eat coconut, but it’s actually a particularly healthy human food for dogs. Coconut contains a substance called lauric acid, which has actually been shown to help boost dogs’ resistance to bacteria and viruses. Make sure your dog only eats the innards—the husky shell can be a choking hazard.
- Eggs: This one comes with a caveat: Eggs are only a healthy human food for dogs if they’re fully cooked. At that point, they become a great source of protein that can also help to calm their stomachs.
- Fish: It’s not surprising that fish is a safe food for dogs—it’s one of the main ingredients in many types of dog food. However, you never want to give them raw or undercooked fish. It’s best to give them something heart-healthy like salmon or sardines, but make sure that it’s cooked all the way through.
Giving your pet one of these safe foods for dogs can be a fun way to bond and make them feel special—the kind of special that they’ll also feel when they’re freshly groomed. Our full-service staff at The Soggy Dog can help you with everything from grooming to the pet supplies you need, so give us a call today.
Categorised in: Dog Food, Dog Safety
This post was written by Writer