As a pet owner, you may ask yourself: should my dog be wearing a collar or harness? Collars have been used for many decades, but harnesses are becoming more and more popular in recent years. Both these pieces of equipment have their advantages and disadvantages that need to be considered. In this article, we will compare the pros and cons of collars and harnesses, so you can decide on a harness or collar for your canine.
Dog Collars: Pros and Cons
Let’s look at the advantages and disadvantages of collars:
Pros of Collars
- A collar is the easiest way to keep an ID tag and rabies tag around the neck of your canine.
- There are different types of collars, so you can definitely find the one that is more suitable for your dog, depending on your its breed, size, personality, and lifestyle. There are flat collars, martingale collars, and rolled collars.
- A collar gives you better control and requires less physical strength when you are walking the dog.
- Most dog trainers recommend using a flat collar first when you train your dog to encourage positive reinforcement and teach your dog to walk by your side.
- In general, collars are comfortable for dogs, and they are easy to put on and take off.
Cons of Collars
- If the collar is loose, your pooch can easily wiggle out and escape. It is especially true for dogs with smaller heads.
- Collars that are too tight may be painful for dogs.
- In some cases, dog collars can even be painful and uncomfortable for dog owners.
Dog Harnesses: Pros and Cons
Thinking of buying a dog harness for your pooch? Here are the advantages and disadvantages that you need to take into consideration.
Pros of Harnesses
- In general, a harness is more comfortable for your dog.
- A harness does not allow a canine to slip out.
- Harnesses are often used to teach puppies that have not learned how to walk on a leash yet.
- It prevents and alleviates dog back pain.
Cons of Harnesses
- Harnesses are harder to put on and take off.
- Depending on the size of your dog, a harness might require more physical strength from a dog owner to walk a pooch.
- Harnesses can be uncomfortable for a dog in hot weather.
- If the harness hooks on the back, it can train your pooch to pull you, and it is probably not what you want and need.
The Soggy Dog – More Than Just Another Pet Store in Henderson, NV
If you are looking for a quality collar or harness and grooming services for your pooch at the same time, The Soggy Dog is your perfect destination. At The Soggy Dog, we provide the best pet care, including quality grooming services and supplies, such as harnesses and collars. We are committed to your pet’s wellness, health, and happiness, which makes us the perfect destination for pet lovers. If you have any questions, or you want to schedule an appointment, feel free to contact us.
This post was written by admin