Keeping your dog looking its best will sometimes require effort and products. One issue that can affect your dog’s appearance, and even health, are dog tears. When your dog’s eyes run, it can cause unsightly tear stains on its face and result in discolored and matted fur. This can especially be a problem for dogs with light-colored fur.
There are ways to combat this. This quick guide will give you some ideas on how to help your dog with this problem.
The first thing you should do if your dog experiences excessive tearing is to consult with the vet. Your pet could be experiencing a health issue such as allergies. This can cause excessive tearing, itching, and discomfort.
Once you have addressed any health concerns, you will want to invest in a quality dog tear stain remover.
What Is a Tear Stain Remover?
Tear stain removers are specially formulated products designed to gently and effectively wash up your dog’s eyes and the fur around the eyes. Tear stain removers come in a few different varieties.
Paste – This product has a thick consistency that will adhere to your dog’s fur to dissolve any tear residue and loosen up the fur.
Liquid – These are the most common type of stain remover. Liquid stain remover is recommended for long-haired breeds as the liquid can easily penetrate into the fur.
Powder – Although powder stain removers are available, they are not very effective, and many owners complain that they are messy. The benefit would be that these products do absorb moisture better than paste or liquid.
Wipes – Wipes are a very popular option for dealing with dog tears. This product is easy to use and creates no mess. They can be carried around in a purse or vehicle for easy access on the go.
Are the Ingredients Safe for My Dog?
It is important to know what ingredients are used in any products you apply to your pet. This is especially true if your pet suffers from allergies. Here are some of the ingredients commonly used for dog tear stain removers.
- Boric acid – Although it sounds harsh, boric acid is often used in eye washes and skincare. It can help deter bacteria and yeast around the eyes.
- Glycerin – Glycerin is found in many soaps and skincare products. It will loosen dirt and debris and helps the product to spread through the fur.
- Sodium chloride – Helps to wash away irritants.
- Natural oils – Natural oils will be present to help moisturize the area.
- Plant-based extracts – There may also be plant-based extracts in the product. This is where you need to be careful, as your pet could be allergic to one of them. Read the label carefully.
Best Tear Stain Removers
Here are some of the best products to get rid of tear stains on dogs.
- Burt’s Bees For Dogs Tear Stain Remover
- Miracle Care Eye Wash Pads
- Squishface Wrinkle Paste
Categorised in: Tear Stain Remover
This post was written by admin